The above blog title is inspired by Saul Bass's "Psycho" title opening.


Tuesday 7 April 2009

Evaluation Q&A

Q1: In what ways does my media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My Media product, opening title sequence, conforms to the codes, conventions and expectations that a movie title sequence should hold. It gives the viewer a brief incite into the coming film, it sets the mood and atmosphere. A well constructed title sequence can give the viewer an instant understanding of the genre, character and a geneneral nature of the film. Ours sets the scene (london buisness district) by showing scenes of the london cityscape, introduces the main character, although in ours we do not directly introduce the character yet the audience knows whom is the center point of the sequence.

Q2: How does my media product represent particular social groups?
Canary is about a man within a higher social class whom then falls into a poorer social group. The whole film is about class and the divides. Within the title itself the character is presented in a wealthy social class, we represent this with the costume he is in, suit, briefcase all things that we associate with a wealthy buisnessman type group. We also show the wealthy part of london with the whole Canary Wharf building and neighbouring buildings, we show the clean shining high class side of london. But ever so often showing shots of inside shopping facilities, showing the consumption and expendable income of such people. If the film was to be made when the change of class appears the setting will change dramatically.

Q3: What kind of media institution might distribute my media product and why?
Canary would most likley be distrbuted by an english film company, as it's main theme is british culture and class it would be understood better by an english audience most proberly not fit for Hollywood consumption. Yet saying this any international audiences interested in the British social class status and english culture then this may be the film. But i would still like it to be disributed by a British company.

Q4: Who would be the media audience for my media product?
Canary is a current film tackleing very current issues. Anyone interested in the representation of the credit crunch or anyone afftected by the economic downturn would be a good audience for this film. A good age would be late teens and above as the sequence (described in a crit but a peer) is very "adult" so a younger viewer may not be either interested in the crisis or unable to understand the film.

Q5: How did I attract/address my audience?
With the intergration of current affairs into our product people are automatically addressed by the sequence. It's something affecting a large majority of the Uk at the moment and when we screened the film people could relate and seemed engaged by the sequence. Also alot of the audience are from the london area so within the sequence they can recognise places and have an understanding witht he film more than say if it was set in alaska. London people can relate to.

Q6: What have I learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the product?
I had previously already had quite good knowledge and an understanding with the editing side of things but every time i work with Final Cut Pro I learn more and find new and interesting thigns to do. I had the oppourtunity to learn alot more abit creating music as I worked on music for the first time with my brother (whom is very experienced in programs amnd techniques) I can hppefully now intergrate my own music into future pieces I make.

Q7: Looking back at my preliminary task, what do I feel I have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Looking back at my preliminary task I feel i have developed my ideas greatly when working towards the full product. Alot of things have changed during the initial ideas which i was expecting as i understood that for a good title sequence to work it must develop and become larger than original intentions. I have learnt a great deal on the development process as that was most possibly the biggest challenge and struggle, although everything went well from what i was expecting. I have also learnt how essential music and sound can play into a piece, it sets the mood atmosphere and can literally make a piece, atleast it was vital within ours.

No comments: